Colleges are going to be looking at you as a whole and will take several factors into consideration when evaluating your application and determining your acceptance into their institution.
High School Performance
- Are you participating in a four year college prep curriculum?
- How are you performing in your courses? ( GPA/class rank)
- What trend can they see in your grades? (For example, Strength in a single content or can they see an improvement from freshman to senior year)
- What is the rigor of your curriculum?
- Competitiveness of high school
College Entrance Exams (ACT and SAT)
- Help to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses
- May be used for placement
- May be used for scholarship amounts awarded
- May not be weighed as heavily if high school record is strong
- Demonstrates commitment to school and contribution to school community
- Never replaces academic preparation and performance
- Consistent involvement and leadership important
- Consistent involvement
- Demonstrates contribution to community
- Impact on student and/or community
- May lead to special scholarships
- Legacy—Did you have family attend institution
- Religious affiliation
- Special talents
- Institution will be asking how you fit their program? Their community?
- Will be asking how can this student contribute to our college/university?