Parent/ Teacher conferences are held twice each year - once in the fall during first semester and once in the late winter during second semester. In addition to participating in these regularly scheduled conferences, you can also arrange individual conferences at other times of the year by finding a mutually convenient time for you and the teacher.
Below are tips and suggestions for maximizing the success of the parent/ teacher conferences:
- Remember that you and your son/ daughter's teachers are partners in supporting your child and his/ her learning
- Come prepared with a list of topics and/or questions you wish to talk about with your teacher. If your son/ daughter is not planning on attending the conference with you, ask him/ her for feedback about how the class is going and if there is anything in particular that he/ she wants you to discuss with the teacher.
- Share information about your son/ daughter. You know your child the best - what motivates them and how they best learn. By sharing updates with the teachers it will help them better understand your child's needs.
- Invite your son/ daughter to attend the conference with you. Give him/ her the opportunity to share some of their work during the conference and this will also allow the students the opportunity to hear firsthand what they are doing well and what needs to be improved. If your son/ daughter does not attend the conference with you, share with them what was discussed.
- Be open minded about suggestions from the teacher. Ask what you can do at home to support your child's academic progress.